Tuesday 26 July 2011

Baking Cheats

Sometimes, you just want a nice brownie, with no effort of baking and making a mess, right? Sometimes - very rarely, I can think of about two occasions before now - I use cake box mixes. When you're craving gooey fudgey brownie at 3am it's the best way forward!

The one I used this time was just a Betty Crocker mix, similar to this Betty Crocker Brownie Mix . Not the same one, obviously as I'm in England, but the same brand and sort of thing. I have to say I was impressed! The mix is really nice and easy to make and doesn't take too long either. The brownies are really moist and chewy which is a massive bonus; I can never quite get my from scratch brownies to retain their moistness without either being undercooked or just horrible tasting. Something I definitely need to work on!

Anyway. The mix was about £2 (+ an egg) so fairly decent value for money if you don't have the ingredients in or aren't brave enough to make brownies from a recipe. I added chocolate chips sprinkled over the top half way through cooking which was a little misguided as half burnt so next time I'll just stir them through the mix before cooking. They're a nice addition though!



1 comment:

  1. If you want chocolate chips just on the top, wait until there's only about 5 minutes left to bake. You can put mini marshmallows on top too but you have to wait for the last 5 minutes and then they will brown and get gooey. They brownie recipe I use makes it so they are slightly underdone which is how I like them, but the one my mom uses leaves them quite dry. I've never found a recipe that makes they moist without being underdone. Although maybe if I baked my recipe longer they might be moist and more done? I will try it if/when it cools off and let you know.

    ReplyDelete